As of the first of November 2010, Microsoft has released System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 for partners and customers with a Technet or MSDN subscription.
The R3 version of SCCM 2007 brings you several enhancements, like mentioned below:
- Centralized Power Management (save money and produce less CO2 with the new power management features)
- Enhanced Scalability & Performance
- Enhancements for Mobile device management (includes licences for System Center Mobile Device Manager)
- Operating System deployment enhancements (like pre staged OS Deployment)
Some prerequisites are:
- KB977384 prerequisite hotfix for System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3
- The R3 version can only be installed if SCCM 2007 SP2 is installed on the server and clients
After applying the patch (it will create an Client update package), the installation is straight forward.
The version of SCCM after the installation will be version 4.00.6487.2000 (sp2 version number), but as you see the value R3 Installed: Yes.
In the blogs further from now I will try to go deeper in the new cool features of System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3!